Welcome to the The Planet Photo 2K20 Tribe Samantha!
What is the 2K20 Teen Model Tribe? Every year I invite a limited number of High School seniors and teens to be part of the ultimate teen model experience. We collaborate with local boutiques and businesses so if you have an idea for a social media collaboration then reach out to us and send me some details – my email is firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to some fun group shoots and activities, every Tribe member shoots their own individual senior or teen portrait session that is designed around them. I help them choose locations, styling and of course they get professional make up, they can even borrow from the Planet Photo Style closet. You can draw inspiration from their shoots to plan your own! Preserve the memories of the high school years with a portrait session. Planet Photo will make you look and feel like a super model.
Meet the rest of the 2K20 Tribe here. Follow Planet Photo on Facebook and Instagram to get a glimpse of behind the scenes fun and the latest locations and styling tips to help you plan YOUR photo shoot.
Serving Litchfield County, Fairfield County, Westchester County, Putnam County, New Haven County and also available for studio and on location destination portrait sessions. Why not combine portraits with a trip to a dream location? Spend time and create memories and portraits with your senior before they head off to college. Look out for details of destination portrait sessions with Planet Photo in 2020. Past locations have included Palm Springs, California and Austin, Texas.
What is the 2K20 Teen Model Tribe? Every year I invite a limited number of High School seniors and teens to be part of the ultimate teen model experience. We collaborate with local boutiques and businesses so if you have an idea for a social media collaboration then reach out to us and send me some details! Every Tribe member shoots their own individual senior or teen portrait session along with some fun group shoots and activities. You can draw inspiration from their shoot to plan your own! Preserve the memories of the high school years with a portrait session. Planet Photo will make you look and feel like a super model.
Serving Litchfield County, Fairfield County, Westchester County, Putnam County, New Haven County and also available for studio and on location destination portrait sessions. Why not combine portraits with a trip to a dream location? Look out for details of destination portrait sessions with Planet Photo in 2020.
Meet the rest of the 2K20 Tribe here. Follow Planet Photo on Facebook and Instagram to get a glimpse of behind the scenes fun and the latest locations and styling tips to help you plan your shoot.
Project Beauty 2019 celebrated teens in their natural beauty. No make up. No labels or designer clothes. Just the girls in their natural confident skin. Project Beauty showed them that their beauty shines brightest when they are positive, confident, purposeful, comfortable, kind, fabulous.
They are ENOUGH. Just the way they are!
Thank you to all the girls who participated in Project Beauty 2019 and for sharing their thoughts on natural beauty.
“I think ones personality and the way they treat people makes them beautiful in their own way” – Avery
“Girls can learn that when they are totally and utterly themselves they are the most amazing & beautiful versions of themselves” – Maddie.
“Girls can learn to love their bodies the way they are and see that they don’t need to change themselves for other people” – Claire.
“I think that beauty comes from inside ourselves. Kindness, love, compassion, honesty, determination, and respect are truly the most beautiful things about a person” – Madi
“Everyone is unique” – Grace
“I got to see my true self and not a shy little girl hiding behind makeup or clothes” – Katie.
“My personality and other people’s overall attitude is what makes a person beautiful” – Samantha
“These girls can learn that they can be who they are and they are gorgeous” – Mila
“Girls can learn not only what they love about themselves on the outside but also on the inside” – Gigi.
“I believe that any girl, short or tall is beautiful in their own, unique way” – Abby.
“Girls can learn that they are enough and that they are good just the way they are” – Ayden.
“The way that someone interacts with the people around them allows them to reflect the light and joy of others, and that’s beautiful” – Nora.
“I think that I am beautiful when I have a positive attitude and have confidence in myself because I look happier and am smiling a lot more” – Olivia
“The girls said they felt beautiful, pretty and accepted just the way they are. They felt visible” – Robyn
“What makes others beautiful is their personality and what is on the inside. Someone can be beautiful on the outside and not be so nice on the inside” – Morgan.
“The way someone carries themselves and the confidence they show makes them beautiful” – Jordana.
“Project Beauty boosts girls’ confidence, and shows them that they are beautiful especially when they are all natural and embracing who they are” – Taylor
I invited Linda Rey from Aurora Consulting to be a guest writer on the Planet Photo Blog. We met last year at a networking event and I was impressed by her desire to mix up the networking scene in New Milford. It was such a pleasure having her in the studio and I loved picking her brain and getting her perspective on personal branding and marketing! I also loved the she switched out images on her blog and started to use the images we created IMMEDIATELY! Check out her website and follow her on social media.
In Linda’s words:
In this digital age, the B word is thrown around a lot when it comes to businesses marketing their business. No, the “B” word isn’t “business” but that’s a good one too.
What’s the “B” word? You know what it is: Branding.
There are many tools available to download many, Many, MANY stock images to market your business and your brand. We can also add graphics and logos and textures to those images. We’ve used these tools and it’s been fun.
But, we knew we wanted to level-up our brand. We decided it was time for a professional photo shoot to focus on us as the BRAND. We were mindful of our “brand” when presenting to the wide world of prospective clients for our business. Nothing speaks to your brand like a spectacular picture of YOU.
We knew to get to the next level, we needed Janet at Planet Photo to help create those images. Janet is a gem. She is the consummate professional, but also a creative genius when it comes to representing your brand on film.
Her ideas are fresh and the event was fluid with changing it up so we would have a library of images as part of the marketing mission.
We wanted to create a personal connection with our prospects and clients. That’s what Janet helps to achieve. With a personal connection, your audience of customers and clients become intimately familiar with You as the Brand.
Now, we can merge our pictures with our words. The reaction has been instant and overwhelmingly positive. Our audience clearly “gets the picture.”
She can’t wait to hear from you to talk about your brand possibilities. If you’re thinking about it, start talking with her so you can envision the possibilities. You’ll be so incredibly happy!
Natural Portraits to celebrate your natural beauty.
Join Project Beauty 360
June 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 2019
YOU ARE ENOUGH!
Join me in celebrating the natural beauty of teens. I would like to build on the success of last year’s Project Beauty 360 campaign and photograph as many local teen girls as possible. Let’s show the world that you are beautiful just the way you are. Come on your own or with a group of friends to be photographed at the Planet Photo studio in black and white.
There is a $50 suggested fee – we will be sending a donation to The Women’s Center in Danbury.
You are encouraged to wear a simple black, white, grey or denim outfit.
No make-up, just a clean, well moisturized face with clear lip gloss.
Clean natural hair.
I will send you a link to an app with a few images from your shoot and I will share the images on social media with very minimal editing – you (and your parents) have to be cool with that so I will have model release forms for you.
The senior year is an emotional roller coaster of “lasts”, senior nights, milestones and graduations. Senior portraits have been growing in popularity over the last few years. But why? You have loads of photos on your phone right? But how many portraits do you have on your walls? On your desk at work or framed on your Grandparents bookshelf? The graduating seniors of today are probably the most photographed generation ever but how many of those images have ever been printed? Displayed? Loved and appreciated on a daily basis?
You should choose a senior portrait photographer the same way you would choose a photographer for any other type of life event, i.e. newborn, family, or for a wedding. Not all photographers shoot all genres of photography. Some specialize in commercial or food photography, newborns, wedding and some are senior portrait photographers.
It’s important that the style of the photographer, their personality AND what they offer be good fit for you and your family. One of the biggest mistakes people make is simply comparing photographer’s prices on paper. There are a lot of things that determine what a photographer charges, and so simply comparing pricing doesn’t help you understand that. Remember you are not just paying for the paper the portrait is printed on.
So how do you choose your photographer? Here is a list to guide you:
1. Style – view their portfolios, either online or in person to get a feel for the style of photography you want. Two photographs can both be technically correct but both may convey a completely different style. Do you like the majority of images on their website?
2. Styling assistance for the shoot. An experienced senior portrait photographer knows what looks good in portraits and what will be problematic. Some recommend professional make up. Draw on their experience and knowledge in this area.
3. Read their bio’s – learn a little bit about them and why they do what they do, and what their approach to their business is like.
4. Understand their experience – a photographer with years of experience is often more expensive than someone just starting out. That makes sense, right? It should show in their work as well. While many people think that because they have a great camera they can take great pictures, there is so much more to professional photography than that, and your photographer should have credentials they can share with you as well. Ask to see a full gallery from one shoot. Most people can show you the one standout portrait from a variety of shoots but will you have a broad selection of images to choose from?
5. Word of mouth – word of mouth is a great way to find potential photographers in your area. Happy clients like to share their experiences, and unhappy ones even more so. Look for testimonials from real clients though and beware of popularity contests on social media!
6. Products – look at what is offered by the photographer / studio, and make a list of what is most important to you. Professional photographers do the research on albums, canvases, print labs etc. so that they can stand behind the quality and longevity of the product. It might save you from an expensive mistake.
7. Set a budget – like anything else, know what you can and are willing to spend. You can find a photographer in every price category but as with many things in life you get what you pay for. Experience, quality and originality are usually worth a little extra.
8. Availability – if you want to shoot at a certain time of year. For example, in the milder temperatures of fall in New England, then a good photographer is going to be busy. Book early and make sure you have a contingency plan for bad weather.
9. On location or in a studio – some photographers only shoot on location and spend lots of time scouting for the perfect locations. Some prefer to shoot in a studio – some of the best editorial magazine images are shot in the studio and they do not have to be boring! Ask to see a photographers examples of both. Maybe you can combine both in your session?
10. Light. One of the most important factors in creating a successful portrait is being creative with light. Full sun, golden hour, back light, OCF (off camera flash) you will see and hear a lot of terms thrown around but a good portrait photographer can use light to create dynamic and interesting portraits in almost all situations. Remember senior portraits are supposed to show who you are at this most incredible time of your life – they are not supposed to look like the school portraits you have every year. Have fun being creative!
The Final Selection
Once you’ve narrowed it down to two or three potential photographers, it is probably a good idea to meet them in person. You are going to be spending a few hours with them before, during and after your shoot, so make sure you get along. A good senior photographer realizes that they need to provide results for the parents and the senior so there will be a selection of formal, casual, edgy, and “safe” portraits.
Remember to enjoy every minute of senior year. All the “lasts” will be over before you know it and then you move onto the next set of “firsts”. Don’t worry I’ll have a box of tissues ready for mom and dad and they’ll have portraits on their wall.